Tuesday 16 July 2013

SONG(s) OF THE WEEK-8th to15th July

Welcome to song of the week, a new idea invented by yours truly to force myself to post at least once a week!!

This week, there are two songs that have had the pleasure of constantly being on repeat on the ol' iPod.

NUMBER 1: Man of Sorrows, Hillsong United
WHAT IS THAT? I hear you ask? Well, lemme break it down for you. Hillsong Church is a huge church in Australia with may branches in Europe, Africa and The States. The worship band 'Hillsong United' stem from the church and write and perform incredible praise and worship songs and tour the world (I WANNA SEE THEM SO BAD, I CAN'T EVEN). 'Man of Sorrows' from the album Glorious Ruins (available to download here) is just an amazing cover of an incredible hymn. I love it! There's something about the lyrics that really stirs me. I love the climax and the bridge in United's version as it explodes from the bridge to chorus. It's such a powerful song.


NUMBER 2: Ya-Hey, Vampire Weekend
This has become somewhat of an anthem in my household this week, much to the dismay of my mother who really dislikes the band and the message portrayed in this song. However, I think the Vampire Weekend are phenomenal performers and artists. The lyrics portrayed in Ya-Hey about coming to terms with the thought of a 'god' are so intriguing. As a Christian, it's so interesting to see (this communicated musically) what goes through so many people's heads, especially those that don't have a belief. I think the lyrics are pure genius and have led to translating sessions of the Latin used to fully understand what Ezra wants to show in the song. Anything that can challenge someone musically, spiritually and intellectually must be good, right? Watch the video below!



That conludes this week's ''Song of the week". What songs have you been blasting through the speakers of your non-existent car? What songs should've been on my list for this week? Let me know! And please subscribe? If you want...

The Music Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment